Goodbye Shippable Hello ...?

Well the news today is that Shippable has gone, well at least in my mind it's gone in reality it is going on May the 3rd 2021. To be honest it came as a surprise, how did I miss that JFrog had bought Shippable? How did I miss any announcements that Shippable would disappear? How did I miss that there wouldn't be a simple migration to JFrog Pipelines and Why did JFrog name the product the same as Atlassian? All rubbish questions, the one question really is where shall I move my CI to?

Which CI?

There's the million dollar question. I am a huge proponent of the Gradle build system and and loved the Nebula plugins, but the CI build info plugin only supported a few of the more common CI tools at the time so I extended it with the Gradle Extended Info Plugin to provide support for more CI systems. Why this preamble? It led me to review CI and came to the conclusion that Shippable was the one for me and I had stuck with it since even through breaking changes and weird docker issues. 

The Candidates

The CI landscape has really changed since 2015, back then the top ones that I would have considered were:
  • Jenkins
  • Hudson
  • Travis
  • Drone.io
  • Shippable
  • Wercker
  • Snap-CI
  • Bitbucket Pipelines
Today the landscape is very different, expectations are higher tooling has improved, so who now? So what do I want:
  • Must be cloud
  • Must integrate with Github
  • Must be simple
  • Must have a reasonable free tier (yes I am cheap)
  • Must support private repositories as well as public/OSS
So which service is on my shortlist?
  • JFrog Pipelines - I should give it a shot may be fantastic
  • Github Actions
  • Travis
  • Wercker
  • CircleCI
There are a couple of obvious ommissions:
So watch this space and see where my journey ends.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gradle and the parent pom

Pushing changes from Shippable to Github

Goodbye Shippable Hello ... CircleCI